Sunday, January 25, 2009

Out of the Snow, Into the Sun!

I struggle this time of year with the winter blah's-that is what I am politely calling them when around other people. I get in this yucky, never want to leave the house, only want to eat, really grouchy to my husband phase. So after having a crummy week/weekend and having no patience with anyone, I told Matt I was truly doing crappy! He suggested we try going to St. George for the weekend. Matt's parents have a little 2 bedroom condo down there which we could stay at. The only hiccup was that Matt's parents were snowbirding there and were we going to drive each other crazy for a long weekend in such a small place. Before when it was suggested, I had said yes! But I was desperate to get out of the snow, which was still a foot deep in my front yard, and the cold and smog! If it was too much we could leave first thing Sun. morning!
It helped the week go by quickly, which I was grateful for. We decided not to tell the kids just incase we decided we couldn't go. And we almost decided not too cause Ella got sick on Wed. and Thurs, but luckily seemed mostly over it on Fri. So.... we went!
We left mid morning, much to Matt's dismay becuase we had set a 9 o'clock leave time and he gets bugged if we leave late, even if no one, including everyone else but him, cares when we get there! The car ride, was long enough for sure, but not long enough where I was starting to threated the kids within an inch of their life! That was nice. We got there mid-afternoon and from that point on we didn't do much of anything we didn't want to do! It was awesome! We played some games we brought from home, cause I didn't think they would have too many kids things to do- I also brought coloring books and some regular books to read at bed time! We watched a little tv, we swam in the community pool every day, which the kids loved. Carter and I brought our bikes and so we rode around the neighborhood! That was so fun! I hadn't been able to really try out the bike Matt splurged and bought me for christmas. It was so nice to get out in the 60 degree weather and see how fabulous my bike was. And I was not disappointed! Carter was a little out of shape though, well me too, but at least I didn't have to walk my bike up the hills like he did! That is what a yucky winter does to the best of us! We read books and went for walks. We did a little bit of shopping and ate lunch out at In-And-Out! Matt and I went on a date Friday night! The kids loved being with their Grammi and Grandpa who spoiled them with Lucky Charm cereal and candy and pop tarts when ever they wanted. Grandpa gave enough 'constant kisses' to last until they come home! Even Lincoln loved Grandpa by the end of the trip often reaching his little arms out for more kisses and hugs!
It was really such a wonderful, relaxing, enjoyable weekend! We needed to just get away and hang out and not worry about grocery shopping, or errands, or church stuff. It was awesome! I am so glad to have gone. I think we all were. Ella was crying today that she didn't want to go and asked several times if she could stay with Grammi! It helped my feel better and hopefully get through the next few weeks! And I am hoping it helped me just want to spend more time with my kids cause I had a lot of fun just doing all that little stuff that seems to get brushed aside in the business of keeping house and the family schedule! Carter summed it up best when he said, "This was the best weekend ever!"

3 comments:

Mariah said...

Hey Jackie! That sounds like so much fun! What a blessing to have such awesome in-laws. Sure miss you around these parts! The card nights we seldom have now, are just not the same without you! Take care!

Kathryn said...

I am so happy you were able to get away. I can very much relate to how you feel in the winter. Chris and I are dying to take a small trip soon just to refresh ourselves.
I think it was wonderful too, that your kids got to hang out with Grammi and Grandpa. I know we sure do miss them here.
I hope you have a fabulous week.

Megan said...

What a great idea to get out of town for the weekend! I get the winter blahs (okay, sometimes its worse than just blahs) myself, especially during these horrible Utah inversions. Last week I went to Park City for the day cuz I really needed to see the sun!