Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jackie:Professional Baker?

So for Christmas I got Matt a golf pass thingy to the golf course we live on! When I was at the clubhouse buying it, I was talking to the manager about how the past year's busyness and such. I asked about the grill the clubhouse has and what was going on with that. He said that they did have a chef last year, but not much selection and that this year they were going to focus on getting it more up and running.

So... then my mind started churning.... What if I could make desserts for them? Just a few things, that tasted yummy, but weren't crazy difficult, but were made from scratch with local stuff when possible? (like fruit, etc) I liked the idea cause while I am no professional baker this could be my 'in' so to speak and be low key enough that I could maybe actually do it? I thought about this for a while and mostly discussed it my mother cause I couldn't talk about it with Matt cause he would have been like, what were you doing at the clubhouse? So after Christmas and him having his gift, I broached the subject with him. He was supportive, but then never mentioned it again. Unlike my mother, who mentioned it nearly every time I spoke with her.

After Christmas I just let it go, thinking that there was no way I could take something like that on. And wondering how women work, even if just from home, or for a few hours a week, and be a mom! honestly I thought I would just fail.... not cause all my stuff would burn up, but cause more than likely I would forget to do it one day, or over sleep(if I had to get up early to do it) or do any number of things I am capable of that I have seemed to have done before in regards to carpooling, volunteering at the school, or just being a decent parents/neighbor.

Anyways, I talked to my mother again yesterday and didn't have that great of conversation about a number of things, but mostly they were self-reflective. I didn't like how I felt about the things I had said about myself. I began to think about this baking idea I had had. Could I even do it? Should I try even if I do fail, or they don't want it cause they already have their desserts (which could be real possibility.) Well, I prayed about it last night, as I have done several times already, but as I prayed I thought of things to do and how I wanted to go about it. And then after my prayer I lay in bed thinking of all the things I could make. I think I am actually going to try and do it! I have my little plan laid out about how I want to present my idea. I have some ideas about what I could make. And how much I would charge. Who knows if I would actually make any money doing this, but I suppose we will see. I know how I would like the schedule to work. The biggest question, besides if they even want me and my baked goods, is where to make the baked goods. Utah is a stickler about kitchens and where sold food can be made. Heavens knows I don't have a kitchen that qualifies. Does the golf club? Or do they just have a grill, refrigerator, etc.. and no oven!!! I don't know. We will have to see! I suppose if nothing else, it can't hurt to try! It could be a grand adventure! I kinda thought if I blogged about it, then it could make me more accountable to the idea! I will keep posted how this all turns out, if it does!!!

5 comments:

Kira And James Morris said...

Wow! Thats awesome! I wish you luck!

Angie said...

That would be sweet (haha...no pun intended)! I say GO FOR IT!

Marissa said...

I say go for it Jackie!!! It never hurts to try and you'll never have regrets for making the effort! Good luck!

Stylin' Binder's said...

Fun! Good luck!!!! You will get a routine down. When i went back to work I was a mess but after a while its just part of the routine :)

John and Erin said...

That sounds awesome! Go for it for sure! And Good Luck!!!