Thursday, November 20, 2008

The HOLE....




Anyone who has been to our house has seen the HOLE! It is a product of the mortgage fall out. A builder dug out the foundation for a house in the lot next to ours, but something happened, who knows what, and thus here we have the HOLE! When we first moved in in April, Matt was adamant that Carter didn't play in it, or even near it. The hole was about 10 feet deep with two HUGE piles of dirt next to it. It was a prime little boy play area, but scary. Well, we gave in quickly when we realized that all the other little kids in the neighborhood were always on it! How could we say no? Well, that HOLE sat there untouched.... And then at the first of Sept. Matt when to city council about it and told them about the HOLE! They said the would contact the owner and get a fence up around in it no time. Yeah, well that never happened. And I was kinda glad cause I didn't want some ugly fence up next door. Plus, would that really keep these crazy little boys out of it, or would it make it more of a game by seeing who could climb over it the fastest? But at the end of Oct. on the news one night Matt and I saw a story about a little Toole boy who died after his family and him built a a tunnel in a hill similar to the one we had next door and it colapsed while he was in it. I felt so bad, but I was also MAD!!! This could be our little boys, if that HOLE was not filled in. So we, my neighbors, and I sent mean emails and phone calls to all the city council members and mayor. Although I am not the suing type, I told them if anything happened to my child, I would sue the city!! We sent them links to the news story..... And they finally responded!
The pics above are of some of the boys, Carter included, watching the HOLE we filled in! It was exciting to see the bulldozer work its magic! Now we don't have a hole, but the boys have put the dirt lot use and built a little dirt bike track on it complete with some very minor "jumps"! Never an opportunity missed to be a boy! And I love it!

3 comments:

Shana said...

That's great! I'm glad that got done.

Newsed6 said...

My motto is: It pays to squawk. So I'm glad you did and got results. It only takes one bad moment to lose a child. Congrats to you on fighting city hall!

Also, about that "lake" picture -- when we first saw that lake in person, I called it a puddle. Lakes in the East are soooo much different.

Marcia

Megan said...

Congrats on getting the hole filled! I'm glad it didn't take someone getting hurt first.

We're fighting our own battle with the City to prevent them from rezoning part of our neighborhood to institutional. I like to hear stories about the local governments listening to the residents, it gives me hope that we'll win our fight.