Friday, May 29, 2009

Names......

We walked by a family with like 4 girls on Matt and I's last date and he said, " I should go back and get the names of those girls! How did the parents choose 4 names!!!!!!!"

So if you don't know..... we are having a girl! It was quite the shock, cause I swore I was having a boy. And to be honest, it has been like, what?, 3 weeks since finding out and I still think in my head I am having a boy. I call it him when referring to the baby in my belly. While shopping, I don't have any desire to look at baby girl clothes. And don't even mention names..... what in the world are we going to name this child?

Matt and I can't agree on a name to save our life. It is quite comical to listen to us try. We spent last Sunday night at Matt's parents house with a brother and sister-in-law of ours trying to figure out. We went through his parents relief society list because we joke, me too, that I like old lady names and I guess they have a bunch of old ladies in their ward. The name Matt most liked was Mimi! I think we have settled that the girls middle name will be Jane. Maybe her first name even! Who knows?

Some names we, well, maybe me more than Matt have liked so far are: (and I have kept a list of them, so they are easier to rule out and less likely to forget which we have ruled out) Clara/Claire, Olive, Ruby*, Violet, Anna*, Lauren, Janie, Daisy, Lucy*, Molly, Lilly, Jillian/Jill, Annabelle*, Annie, and Juliet. The * ones are the few that Matt kinda, maybe likes! He isn't super keen on any of them. Right now he likes Reagan or Lindsay.

And everyone likes to give suggestions, which I actually don't mind. We need them! My father has called me often and told me he likes the name Grace. My grandma likes Evalyn. Matt's mom likes Susanna.

My sister-in-law Jeanne likes Madison and call her Maddie. Which is cute. But there is a problem. There are 3 Maddie's on our street. 1 lives across from us, 1 lives 3 doors down, and one actually just walked by our house, is Carter's best friends older sister. I don't want another Ella, which isn't to say I don't love Ella's name- but there are like 6 Ella's in our ward. Again 1 lives right across the street. And I know we most likely won't live here forever, but still.... Between the 75+ kids on our street and the 35+ nieces and nephews, our names are limited.

I kinda feel like if we were to find a name for her, it would settle in my head that we are actually having a girl. I really do think that when the baby comes out the doctor is going to say, 'oh! Look we were wrong.... it is a BOY!!!!' I know that that is unlikely, but a name would help give this child some identity?

And another funny thing about naming it, is that we have almost always known the name upon conception. Ella took a little longer, but still I think we knew once we found out she was a girl that was our Eleanor Rose. This next one was going to be Truman.... there is no girl name that can be made out of that one.

So I don't know.

I haven't posted for long because I felt like I couldn't post until I talked/announced the sex of the child, but not able to confront it until now, I suppose. 2 and 2! So different than how I thought my family would look. I don't mind having a girl, truly, just so different than what I truly believed. i always thought my last would be a boy, which begs the question are we done......

But before we decided whether or not we are we have to name this child..... so any suggestions.

7 comments:

Jim and Bunni (Nadine) said...

You could name her Matilda. That's a good old lady name and then you could call her Matti which I really like being named after Matt like that and kinda be different if the others on your street are Maddi for Madison or whatever. If you named her anything that started with M you could call her Mimi. She could be named after Matt and called Mimi cuz she'd be his "mini - me". : )

John and Erin said...

Reagan is def. the one to go with! She would fit in nicely with her other siblings and it would be ADORABLE!!!! So...I'm not sure that I really get a counting vote, but if I do, I say Reagan!!

Shana said...

Reagan would be in keeping with your president theme....
I also like Avy.
Good luck....naming is hard...that's why we're sticking with only 3. lol

Megan said...

Congratulations on finding out your having a girl! I really like the name Jane. I also like Reagan and Madison--and especially that they go with your presidential theme. Kennedy would, too.

What about looking at a list of first ladies? That would give you plenty of old lady names (I know what you mean, I like them, too) to choose from as well as kind of keep the presidential theme. I found a list on wikipedia under List of First Ladies of the United States.

good luck!

amaree said...

I hear ya. We've got boy #3 name picked out, but have no girl names at all... I want Cynthia, after Aaron's mother, but not sure how he feels about it. I guess we'll have to wait until August before we start deciding names, 'cause then we'll know what we're having. I also like the "old lady names" idea. Classy... Good luck!

Jessie said...

I have to go with Reagan too. Super cute for a girl!! Good luck though. I didnt' settle till 3 days before she was born so I totally get it.

Blue room said...

I always loved the name Sophie. It is so cute. But out of your list I love the names Violet and Claire. they are b-e-a-utiful names. Lol... But it is your choice, duh... its your kid. I hope that everything is going good. I dont hear from you alot anymore. thanks for everything!
-Hanna-